Runner's Reading

I went into this book expecting it to be a motivational running guide written by a super-runner who runs marathons at 8-minute mile pace, has defined abs, muscular legs, is a health-food nut, and is a true lover of running. You know, those people who make running marathons look easy. I'm the opposite of that, so while it's nice to get advice from those amazing runners, it was downright refreshing to read a book written from a perspective I could relate to.
For those of us who lack motivation (even super-runners go through that every now and again), or for people who have never run much before and think they may want to start, this book offered humorous advice from a non-runner to non-runners (or non-super-runners). I wouldn't rely on it for true training information (consult an actual super-runner or a book written by one for that), but for someone looking to start running, it gave a real look at what running is like. Again, sometimes super-runners (or as Dawn calls them, Serious Runners), make running look so easy than I tend to forget how much it actually sucks half of the time, and then I feel terrible about myself for not being able to glide effortlessly through a 5K or a long run. In the book, Dawn has a way of being real about how hard it can be, but also how worth it is in the end given that we are able-bodied people, and we should use our bodies before it's too late.
I recommend this book for anyone who needs a little nudge to get back out there, or even if you're already out and want a good book to read in your downtime.

0 Response to "Runner's Reading"

Post a Comment