It's been almost two weeks, but I've yet to write about my 4th of July race.
I was supposed to be off for the weekend and would be running a local 5K with Jon on the 3rd, then do fun 4th of July things on, well, the 4th. Only two days before the weekend, I found out Jon had to work. So to make a long story short, my mom offered to fly me home for the weekend because it was my Dad's birthday and it would be a fun surprise for him. I felt a little guilty about missing my race, so I found one at the last minute that I could run down there.
The morning of the race - Independence Day - was a comfortable (and patriotic) 76°. Well, comfortable to those who weren't running. Anything over 70° with a dewpoint over 60° and it feels like 95° to me while I'm running. The race started on the most charming road, aptly named Main Street. Front porches were decorated with American flag bunting and the street had music piped in while we picked up our race numbers. Everyone lined up (I tend to stick toward the back) and we listened to the Star Spangled Banner in front of the fire station. The end of the song went something like this:
During the race, I took it slow (as expected due to not training through the entire spring), and finished in 32:57. After leaving Main Street, the route took us through a neighborhood without shade and it was here that I realized how out of shape I am. Not even two miles into the race and I was already itching for the finish. How am I going to run a half marathon in two months? I have a lot of work to do.
Regardless of all that, the race was nice and I enjoy the goodies at the end. There were a few wading pools full of ice water that held bottled water. I hoped to "accidentally" fall in headfirst when I stretched a little too far to grab myself a bottle, but unfortunately I didn't.
I was supposed to be off for the weekend and would be running a local 5K with Jon on the 3rd, then do fun 4th of July things on, well, the 4th. Only two days before the weekend, I found out Jon had to work. So to make a long story short, my mom offered to fly me home for the weekend because it was my Dad's birthday and it would be a fun surprise for him. I felt a little guilty about missing my race, so I found one at the last minute that I could run down there.
The morning of the race - Independence Day - was a comfortable (and patriotic) 76°. Well, comfortable to those who weren't running. Anything over 70° with a dewpoint over 60° and it feels like 95° to me while I'm running. The race started on the most charming road, aptly named Main Street. Front porches were decorated with American flag bunting and the street had music piped in while we picked up our race numbers. Everyone lined up (I tend to stick toward the back) and we listened to the Star Spangled Banner in front of the fire station. The end of the song went something like this:
"O'er the land of the free
*bark*
and the home of the brave"
Leave it to a spectating dog to break the crowd into laughter during a song which usually gives listeners goosebumps.During the race, I took it slow (as expected due to not training through the entire spring), and finished in 32:57. After leaving Main Street, the route took us through a neighborhood without shade and it was here that I realized how out of shape I am. Not even two miles into the race and I was already itching for the finish. How am I going to run a half marathon in two months? I have a lot of work to do.
Regardless of all that, the race was nice and I enjoy the goodies at the end. There were a few wading pools full of ice water that held bottled water. I hoped to "accidentally" fall in headfirst when I stretched a little too far to grab myself a bottle, but unfortunately I didn't.
I can't resist matching my race outfits to the event So far, this RunningSkirts.com red mini-dot skirt has taken me through Valentine's Day and Independence Day races.
August 5, 2010 at 2:27 PM
Love the skirt! Thanks for the Disney Princess report. Found your link on the disboards. We are taking a little family vacation there in 2011 for this.