Friday morning, Jon and I woke up and went for a run along the jogging trails at our resort. We passed dozens of other runners, undoubtedly preparing for the race as well. It was a beautiful morning, and running along the river was really peaceful. Once we got ready for the day, Jon and I took a bus over to the race expo at the Wide World of Sports. Going to the expo was super exciting; it was starting to feel real at this point.

We walked into the Josten's Center and saw a massive crowd of people on the floor. From up above, I spotted the official DPHM merchandise area - a whole mess of pink! - and took off for the stairs. Jon and I eventually made our way through the throng of runners to the back to pick up our race bib numbers and hand in our waivers. If it hadn't fully hit me yet, it did once they handed me my Princess Alicia race number! It was so crisp and beautiful and pink... I couldn't stop looking at it. After months of training, in two more days I was going to pin this onto my running shirt and set out for my first half marathon. I snapped back to reality once Jon got his number (which, much to our disappointment did not say "Princess Jon", but rather just "Jon".) and we saw that he was placed in corral E. With my anticipated finish time of 2:45-3:00 (based on training times), I was placed in B. Jon's much faster than I am, so while it's not that he was set out to win the race or anything, he was hoping to be in a higher corral. The girl at the runner relations desk was hesitant to change his corral until I showed her his 5 mile run time (there were no 10K races around us for him to run for proof of time, so we brought the next best thing) and told her he'd be running about 8 minute miles. I think she understood, and moved him up to corral B with me. We walked over a test mat with our D-tags to make sure our chips registered on it (which they did) and then picked up our goody bags and t-shirts. After a quick size exchange (resulting in a white shirt rather than blue, no big deal) we walked around the expo checking the stands out. In the end, I only bought a few running stickers and the DPHM pin.
Oh, and I also got glittered by the Bibbity Bobbity Boutique! I can't resist a good glittering.
We walked into the Josten's Center and saw a massive crowd of people on the floor. From up above, I spotted the official DPHM merchandise area - a whole mess of pink! - and took off for the stairs. Jon and I eventually made our way through the throng of runners to the back to pick up our race bib numbers and hand in our waivers. If it hadn't fully hit me yet, it did once they handed me my Princess Alicia race number! It was so crisp and beautiful and pink... I couldn't stop looking at it. After months of training, in two more days I was going to pin this onto my running shirt and set out for my first half marathon. I snapped back to reality once Jon got his number (which, much to our disappointment did not say "Princess Jon", but rather just "Jon".) and we saw that he was placed in corral E. With my anticipated finish time of 2:45-3:00 (based on training times), I was placed in B. Jon's much faster than I am, so while it's not that he was set out to win the race or anything, he was hoping to be in a higher corral. The girl at the runner relations desk was hesitant to change his corral until I showed her his 5 mile run time (there were no 10K races around us for him to run for proof of time, so we brought the next best thing) and told her he'd be running about 8 minute miles. I think she understood, and moved him up to corral B with me. We walked over a test mat with our D-tags to make sure our chips registered on it (which they did) and then picked up our goody bags and t-shirts. After a quick size exchange (resulting in a white shirt rather than blue, no big deal) we walked around the expo checking the stands out. In the end, I only bought a few running stickers and the DPHM pin.
Oh, and I also got glittered by the Bibbity Bobbity Boutique! I can't resist a good glittering.
Post a Comment