Controlling your inner Mr. Mandelbaum

It's go time! ~Izzy Mandelbaum

I'm not sure if anyone has this problem, but I really have have a difficult time slowing down for easy runs. I usually can start my run off at nice and relaxed, but after about a half mile "it's go time" and I gradually speed up to race pace and stay there for the remainder of the run. Even when I run with someone, soon after we start, I'm off to the races and whomever I'm with has to reel me back.

I'm not sure whether I have always had this problem, but I have really noticed it this spring when I started to conscientiously record my runs with their respective pace and after stepping off the treadmill and back onto the road in March. I have thought over for awhile now and I have determined that it is either one or all of the following:
  1. If I'm not going fast that I'm wasting my time and not getting anything out of my run.
  2. Need to consistently prove to myself that I can run fast, especially since my BQ pace is 7:15
  3. The continuation of the competitive nature from years of organized cross country and track.
  4. Or, I just want to complete my run as fast as possible to get it over with.
Now some of you might read this and think - "Jeez, what is this guy's problem? What is he complaining about? I would love to always run fast and struggle to go slow." - and, I would agree with you. But, slow days are just as important as fast days and without slow days you increase your risk for injury. I can definitely speak from experience on this as I strained my left calf about a week ago after running two days in a row with 6:30 first miles.

After about 3 or 4 days of rest, ice, and "the stick", I'm back on the roads gradually regaining strength in my calf. My first run on Monday was perfect, nice and slow at 8:00 pace. Today was another story as I set out to run 8:00 pace, but I finished at 7:37 pace. I felt fine for all of the run, but my fear is that my constant need to go fast could reinjure my calf or worse start up a string of overuse injuries that would be difficult to recover from.

So, I would like to propose to the running community - what do you do to help yourself stick to a certain pace and not let yourself get out of control? I know that many of you use a Garmin and I will be joining that crowd in the coming weeks, but a Garmin can't slow you down. Any suggestions would be great!

Now, go lift that TV...

1 Response to "Controlling your inner Mr. Mandelbaum"

  1. chris mcpeake Says:

    I had this problem for years. A garmin really helped. Also a great number of very good runners explaining to me (repeatively) the importance of easy days for recovery otherwise your hard days dont really give you the greatest results. good luck

Post a Comment